You are here

U.S. military’s Pacific Command says ballistic missile warning sent in error to Hawaii

U.S. military’s Pacific Command says ballistic missile warning sent in error to Hawaii

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. military’s Pacific Command said on Saturday there was no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii after a message was mistakenly sent to Hawaii residents’ mobile phones warning them to seek shelter.

A spokesman for the command said it “detected no ballistic missile threat to Hawaii” and that the message warning had been sent in error.

A spokeswoman for U.S. Representative Tulsi Gabbard said she checked with the state agency that issued the alert and was told it was sent in error.

She then tweeted, “HAWAII – THIS IS A FALSE ALARM. THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE TO HAWAII. I HAVE CONFIRMED WITH OFFICIALS THERE IS NO INCOMING MISSILE.”

Gabbard also tweeted the mistaken alert, which said: “EMERGENCY ALERT BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.”

The Hawaii Emergency Management Agency’s Twitter account also said “NO missile threat to Hawaii.”

The incident occurred amid high tensions internationally over North Korea’s development of a ballistic nuclear weapon.

Reporting by Phil Stewart, Richard Cowan and Lesley Wroughton; Editing by Bill Trott

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source: Reuters World News

Related posts

Leave a Comment